Universal Audio Apollo x8 Audio Interface (Thunderbolt 3)
[Guild Note: We are taking preorders on this UA Apollo x8, slated to arrive on our shelves next week. It will then be dispatched immediately your direction upon receipt.]
Elite Audio Conversion with Four Unison Mic Preamps, New HEXA Core Processing and Surround Sound Monitoring.
Apollo x8 allows music producers, project, and post-production studios to track, overdub, and mix with new world-beating A/D and D/A conversion, HEXA Core UAD plug-in processing, and 7.1 surround sound monitoring* — all in a sleek rackmount Thunderbolt 3 audio interface for Mac or PC.
The latest generation of UA audio interfaces deliver best-in-class sound with the tone, feel, and flow of analog recording. UA rackmount and desktop interfaces feature powerful Realtime UAD Plug-In processing and Unison mic preamp technology, letting you record at near-zero latency through the full range of UAD plug-ins from Fender, Neve, Manley, SSL, API, and more. With the addition of new Apollo X Thunderbolt 3 rackmount interfaces, Universal Audio provides an unparalleled recording, mixing, and mastering platform to bedroom producers, project studio owners, and professional engineers alike.
*Surround Sound Support for Apollo X Coming Q4 2018.
**Mac Pro (Late 2013 “black cylinder” model) compatibility for Apollo X coming Q4 2018.
Built upon UA’s 60-year heritage of audio craftsmanship, this 18 x 24 interface distinguishes itself with four Unison™-enabled mic preamps, providing authentic emulations of preamps from Neve, API, Manley, Helios, SSL and more, plus all-new HEXA Core processing — yielding 50% more DSP for running UAD Powered Plug-Ins in real time.
In addition to its elite-class audio conversion, Apollo x8 features selectable operating level for compatibility with professional +24 dBu gear, as well as an integrated monitor controller and built-in talkback mic.
- Experience elite-class A/D and D/A conversion nearing the widest dynamic range and lowest signal to noise available — at any price
- Track and mix with powerful HEXA Core processing, featuring 6 UAD DSP chips for running more award-winning UAD Powered Plug-Ins in real time
- Record with near-zero latency through preamp emulations from Neve,API, Manley, Fender, and more using Unison™ technology*
- Easily connect to pro-level studio gear with switchable +24 / +20 dBu headroom settings
- Work in surround formats up to 7.1*, complete with speaker calibration and fold-down
- Integrated talkback and built-in cues for easy communication and slating takes
*Surround Sound Support for Apollo X Coming Q4 2018.
Elite-Class A/D and D/A Conversion - With thousands of chart-topping songs and hundreds of Grammy-winning albums under their belt, Apollo interfaces are no strangers to tracking stellar-sounding records. To improve on the previous generation Apollo interface’s class-leading audio conversion, UA engineers obsessively auditioned the latest A/D and D/A converters — ultimately pairing elite-class 24-bit/192 kHz converters with all-new analog circuitry for an ultra-pristine signal path. With 129 dB dynamic range and -118 dB TD+N, Apollo x8’s open, natural sound quality rivals any dedicated high-end converter on the market — regardless of price — and is the perfect starting point for applying UAD processing.
Realtime UAD HEXA Core Processing - Apollo x8 features new HEXA Core processing, with six DSP chips and 50% more UAD plug-in processing power than previous Apollos. This lets you run more UAD plug-ins, whether you’re tracking in real time with channel strips from Neve, Manley, or API, or running high UAD plug-in counts when mixing in your DAW. From the tube warmth of Pultec EQs on guitars to the musical tube limiting of the LA-2A on vocals, or the pump of a genuine 1176 or Fairchild 670 tube compressor on drums, your recordings will take a giant leap forward with a rich, three-dimensional analog sound that UAD plug-ins provide.
Unison™ Technology: The Genuine Sound of Neve, API, & Manley Preamps - Perfect for musicians, engineers, producers, and sound designers, Apollo x8 features four Unison-enabled mic preamps, letting you track through exacting mic preamp emulations from Neve, API, Manley, SSL, and Universal Audio.** A Universal Audio exclusive, Unison technology nails the tone of these sought-after tube and solid state mic pres — including their input impedance, gain stage “sweet spots,” and the component-level circuit behaviors of the original hardware. The secret to Unison is its hardware-software integration between Apollo’s mic preamps and its onboard Realtime UAD processing.
A Full Suite of Classic Analog Processing Onboard - Of course, a hallmark feature of Apollo is its Realtime UAD Processing, letting you run the full library of UAD plug-ins with near-zero latency. Apollo x8 includes the Realtime Analog Classics Plus plug-in bundle, so you can record and mix with the world’s only authentic Teletronix LA-2A, 1176LN, and Fairchild compressors, the Unison-enabled UA 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, and guitar and bass amps from Marshall and Ampeg.
Access the World of UAD Powered Plug-Ins - Going beyond the included Realtime Analog Classics Plus plug-ins, Apollo x8 lets you tap into the full UAD Powered Plug-In library of name-brand vintage EQs, compressors, reverbs, tape machines, channel strips, and more — at near-zero latency, regardless of your audio software’s buffer size and without taxing your computer’s CPU. With exclusive emulations from SSL, Neve, Studer, Manley, API, Ampex, Lexicon, Fender, and more,** it’s like having a studio full of iconic analog gear, in a single rack space. And unlike competing interfaces, these award-winning DSP-powered plug-ins are also available in your DAW for mixing.
Surround Sound Monitoring* and +24 dBu Operation - With comprehensive surround monitoring support for formats up to 7.1, Apollo x8 is a boon for engineers and producers working on audio and music for video games, television, and the web. In addition, Apollo x8 offers selectable +24 dBu operation for out-of-the-box compatibility with professional mixing consoles and other high-end pro audio equipment.
Build a Networked Studio System Over Thunderbolt - Apollo x8 offers 18 x 24 simultaneous inputs/outputs (8 x 8 analog I/O) and two built-in Thunderbolt 3 ports, which are backwards-compatible with Thunderbolt 1 and 2 Macs via adapter (sold separately). This allows users of any Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo Twin or Apollo rackmount audio interfaces to easily combine up to four Apollos and six total UAD-2 devices — adding fast, high-bandwidth I/O and DSP as your studio grows.
Apollo x8 Key Features:
- 18 x 24 Thunderbolt 3 audio interface with class-leading 24-bit/192 KHz conversion
- Realtime UAD HEXA Core Processing for tracking through UAD plug-ins at near-zero latency, regardless of audio buffer size
- Record through 4 Unison-enabled mic/line preamps — giving you fully authentic preamp emulations from Neve,API, Manley, SSL, and more**
- Surround monitor controller up to 7.1 format*
- Includes “Realtime Analog Classics Plus” UAD plug-in bundle featuring UA 610-B Tube Preamp; Legacy Pultec EQ, LA-2A, and 1176 compressors; Marshall Plexi Classic; Ampeg SVT-VR Classic, and more
- UAD HEXA Core processing onboard for additional mixing horsepower for Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Ableton, and other major DAWs
- Combine up to 4 Thunderbolt-equipped Apollos and 6 total UAD devices; backward-compatible with Thunderbolt 1 and 2 via optional adapter
- Selectable +24 dBu operation for easy compatibility with professional mixing consoles and tape machines
- Convenient front panel monitoring functions including Alt Speakers, Talkback mic, and assignable Dim or Mono
- Uncompromising UA analog design, superior components, and premium build quality
- Free, industry-leading technical support — on the phone and online — from knowledgeable audio engineers
*Surround Sound Support for Apollo X Coming Q4 2018.
Included in the Realtime Analog Classics Plus Bundle:
- UA 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ
- Marshall Plexi Classic Guitar Amp
- Ampeg SVT-VR Classic Bass Amp
- UA 1176LN Limiting Amplifier (Legacy)
- UA 1176SE Limiting Amplifier (Legacy)
- Pultec EQP-1A EQ (Legacy)
- Pultec Pro EQ (Legacy)
- Teletronix LA-2A Leveling Amplifier (Legacy)
- Fairchild 670 Compressor (Legacy)
- Precision Enhancer Hz
- Raw Distortion
- Precision Channel Strip (Precision Mix Rack Collection)
- Precision Reflection Engine (Precision Mix Rack Collection)
- Precision Delay Mod (Precision Mix Rack Collection)
- Precision Delay Mod L (Precision Mix Rack Collection)
- RealVerb Pro Custom Room Modeler
**Apollo x8 includes the “Realtime Analog Classics Plus” UAD plug-in bundle. Other UAD plug-ins sold separately at the Universal Audio website. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Universal Audio Audio Interface Comparison
|Arrow||Apollo Twin MkII||Apollo Twin USB||Apollo x6||Apollo x8||Apollo x8p||Apollo x16||Apollo 8 QUAD||Apollo FireWire|
|User Profile||Touring producers and musicians, podcasters, recording hobbyists||Recording musicians, project studio owners, bedroom producers||Post-production professionals, electronic music producers||Recording musicians and engineers, project studio owners||Recording musicians and engineers, project studio owners||Professional engineers and studio facilities||Recording musicians and project studio owners||Recording musicians and project studio owners|
|Compatibility||Mac / Windows||Mac / Windows||Windows Only||Mac / Windows||Mac / Windows||Mac / Windows||Mac / Windows||Mac / Windows||Mac / Windows|
|Connectivity||Bus Power via Thunderbolt 3||Thunderbolt 1 or 2||USB 3||Thunderbolt 3*||Thunderbolt 3*||Thunderbolt 3*||Thunderbolt 3*||Thunderbolt 1 or 2||FireWire 800|
|Realtime UAD Processing||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|SHARC DSP||SOLO (1)||SOLO (1)
|DUO (2)||HEXA (6)||HEXA (6)||HEXA (6)||HEXA (6)||QUAD (4)||QUAD (4)|
|Unison Mic Preamps||2||2||2||2||4||8||-||4||4|
|Unison Hi-Z Inputs||1||1||1||2||2||2||-||2||2|
|Total I/O||2 x 2||10 x 6||10 x 6||16 x 22||18 x 24||18 x 22||18 x 20||18 x 24||18 x 24|
|Digital I/O||-||8 ADAT IN
|8 ADAT IN
|8 ADAT (optical TOSLINK); 2 S/PDIF||8 ADAT (optical TOSLINK); 2 S/PDIF||8 ADAT (optical TOSLINK); 2 S/PDIF||2 AES/EBU||8 ADAT (optical TOSLINK); 2 S/PDIF||8 ADAT (optical TOSLINK); 2 S/PDIF|
|Monitor Outputs||2 TRS||2 TRS||2 TRS||2 TRS||2 TRS||2 TRS||2 XLR||2 TRS||2 TRS|
|Headphone Outputs||1 Stereo||1 Stereo||1 Stereo||2 Stereo||2 Stereo||2 Stereo||-||2 Stereo||2 Stereo|
|Monitor Modes||Stereo||Stereo||Stereo||Stereo to 5.1*||Stereo to 7.1*||Stereo to 7.1*||Stereo to 7.1*||Stereo||Stereo|
|Alt Speakers||No||No||No||Up to 2 Stereo||Up to 2 Stereo||Up to 2 Stereo||Up to 2 Stereo||Up to 2 Stereo||No|
|Built-in Talkback Mic||No||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No|
|Included UAD plug-ins||14||14||14||16||16||16||16||16||16|
|MSRP (USD)||$499||$699 / $899 / $1,299||$899||$1,999||$2,499||$2,999||$3,499||$1,999||$1,799|
|* Thunderbolt 2 compatible with Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter|